How Many Of You Rely Solely On Fusion's Internal Keyers?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Galvenon

Galvenon

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

Do most people here use plug-ins like Primatte or Keylight for keying or are you happy with the internal keyers?
Thanks.

#2 Pilalitos

Pilalitos

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

I used to use external plug-ins but the last 2 years i only use Fusion's own keyers.

#3 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

I might use the DF internal keyers maybe once in 50 times ? I think thought I find the Matt tool very useful. In DF I use Primatte and Ultimatte but I do most of my keyeing in Nuke now as with Nuke 6, it comes with 3 very highend keyers that are included in the software. More choice equals better results for me.

Cheers

Richard

#4 Galvenon

Galvenon

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

View PostRichard Turner, on 23 February 2010 - 10:57 PM, said:

I might use the DF internal keyers maybe once in 50 times ? I think thought I find the Matt tool very useful. In DF I use Primatte and Ultimatte but I do most of my keyeing in Nuke now as with Nuke 6, it comes with 3 very highend keyers that are included in the software. More choice equals better results for me.

So you use both Nuke and Fusion? If you are already keying on Nuke why not doing the rest on Nuke as well?
Yeah, I like Keylight and Primatte a lot.This is why I asked the question.
I never used Ultrakeyer but I heard Keylight and Primatte it ain't.
I don't have Fusion yet but I'm seriously considering moving to it. But the keyer things is certainly holding me back. I don't want to have to buy Keylight and Primatte on the top of Fusion's price.

#5 leif3d

leif3d

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

The keyer in Fusion is very nice, I've used it for over a year now and I recently used it on RED footage with lots of spill.
The problems is that it's not going to have all the one button solutions like in keylight or primatte, but it's an excellent keyer, specially when combined with many other fusion tools like the matte control and chroma keyer.
If you're under a tight schedule for a project and you don't know the Fusion keyer very well, then I would suggest sticking with what you know, but I've never had an instance where I couldn't key something with the Fusion Keyer.

#6 zistambus

zistambus

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:53 AM

I usually prefer the Ultrakeyer...and also a Macro I made which makes some color adjustments and some channel operations... The lumakeyer is also v helpful...Stopped using primatte and Keylight the moment I stopped using Shake...and in the latter stages...I found I have more control in creating a keyer fr shots, specific to the projects. So I rarely depend on these add ons...

#7 Pinionist

Pinionist

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:36 AM

I'd rather use Fusion's internal keyers, as I don't have to worry if it would render on farm. And so far, haven't got a situation, where primate would be significantly better than let's say UltraKeyer.

#8 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

I use Primatte mostly for hard mattes or when the background is neither a proper green nor a proper blue screen. Ultrakeyers for the fine details.

Never got a nice despill out of Primatte that did what I wanted without turning the skin tones purple. I only ever use it for the alpha channel and do despilling with Fusion's tools as well as some custom macros to blend background colors into the spill area.

I've used keylight in AfterEffects years ago and it was great. But maybe only because the other AfterEffects keyers sucked so much :-)

I really miss something like Nuke's IBK on Fusion. Is this all black magic or is it just a question of grabbing some public Siggraph papers and implementing it? :rolleyes:

cheers
Stefan

#9 ttwheam

ttwheam

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:32 AM

Keylight and Primatte are nearly always superior in my experience.

#10 Michael Wolf

Michael Wolf

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:03 AM

Ultrakey here.
I've used Primatte on one or two shots, but usually found that I got better and more predictable results with Ultrakey and a few manual adjustments.

Cheers,
Mike

#11 jirka

jirka

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

I use Ultrakeyer mostly for hard mattes, and primatte for blue jeans on bluescreen type of nightmare. For normal work, mixkeyer macro similar to keylight, but with cleanplate input as in IBK. Works well most of the time. More complicated despils by SpillReplace2 macro clone, made by creewee for shake.

Attached Files

#12 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

View Postjirka, on 24 February 2010 - 08:17 PM, said:

I use Ultrakeyer mostly for hard mattes, and primatte for blue jeans on bluescreen type of nightmare. For normal work, mixkeyer macro similar to keylight, but with cleanplate input as in IBK. Works well most of the time. More complicated despils by SpillReplace2 macro clone, made by creewee for shake.

Thanks for posting! Gonna have a look at it as soon as I can :mf_dribble:

#13 rubberduck

rubberduck

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:36 AM

View Postjirka, on 24 February 2010 - 08:17 PM, said:

Hi all,

I was just about to ask if there is a good keyer for Fusion which can use cleanplates, then I noticed your post. I downloaded the macro's you posted. I'm missing something here. It's not completely clear to me how the nodes should be connected (for example, in the 'softkeyer6" there is a "cleanplate" option, but in which input should I connect the cleanplate? What does the "cleanplater" node do? Is there a tutorial on the web? Can you post an example comp?
Thanks for the effort!

all the best,

#14 Galvenon

Galvenon

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

View Postrubberduck, on 25 February 2010 - 10:36 AM, said:

I thought Fusion had a difference keyer?
You can use a clean plate with a difference keyer.

#15 rubberduck

rubberduck

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

View PostGalvenon, on 25 February 2010 - 11:07 AM, said:

View Postrubberduck, on 25 February 2010 - 10:36 AM, said:

I thought Fusion had a difference keyer?
You can use a clean plate with a difference keyer.

I found that difference keyer in Fusion a little bit bad actually.... So I hoped that there was some kind of keyer in which you can plugin your cleanplate to 'advance" your keying. Afcourse you can do this manually by using a difference key and than use that as your garbage mask in your real keyer for example. But still I'm very curious about the macro's posted above!

all the best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users